Type of initiating organisation
- Non-government organization / civil society
Co-governance or hybrid governance (mix of responsibilities between government and non-government actors)
Participatory approaches/ community involvement
- Dissemination of information and education
- Consultation (e.g. workshop, surveys)
- Citizen oversight (e.g. boards, advisory)
Details on the roles of the organisations involved in the project
Project implemented in response to ...
The restoration of the Emscher River was initiated by the Emscher Genossenschaft (5). The Emscher region has set an example for civic participation in regional planning. The Emscher – Zukunft (future) is a strategic master plan for regional development that has been developed through an intensive dialogue process involving a wide range of stakeholders and effective public participation. This process has enabled many of the Emscher cities to conceptualize a family-friendly, multi-generational living environment (Seltmann, 2007) (5).
... an EU policy or strategy? Yes
EU Water Framework Directive (5) is an operational tool, which sets the objectives for water protection in Europe.
... a national policy or strategy? Yes
1. Regional development strategy by the Ministry of Urban Development, Housing, and Transport in Nord Rhein- Westphalia (1989). One of the key components of this strategy was to bring an International Building Exhibition (International Bauausstellung - IBA) to the region. The IBA initiative was designed to instigate integrated development and regeneration in the region, with architectural competitions playing an important role. Thus it implied that the re-development considered not only economic and job creation factors, but also criteria such as society, the environment, and culture. This initiative was later termed as IBA Emscher Park (5).
2. “Future Convention for Stormwater in the Emscher Catchment” (5). See comments.
... a local policy or strategy? Unknown